May 1, 2007, 6:30-8:00 pm
Attending: Lu, Mike, Diana, Anwar, Terri
1. NOTE: Meeting time change. We will start future meetings at 7 PM. Meetings will end at 8:30, so our meeting time is now shortened to 1.5 hours. The reason for the change is that people have a difficult time getting to the meeting at 6:30, and at the same time we do not want to have meetings past 8:30 PM.
2. C.T.Vivian. Everyone enjoyed his talk. A DVD has been made; contact Anwar for information. We would like to get the names of the co-sponsors to the talk for future reference. Lesson learned: We should request a cell phone number or contact person in the case of future misunderstandings in time, location, etc.
3. Petition. Terri reported that over 100 signatures to our petition have been sent to our representatives, letting them know our position on the war. Thank you Terri.
4. FarmerŐs Market. Lu reported that $98 was collected at the FarmerŐs Market on the opening day in April. Mike has pottery to donate and will get it to Lu. Lu will also ask Nancy at the Armory to see if they have any pottery they would like to donate. We must still find out how much we owe for the coffee that we do have, too (Ralph). Thank you Ralph and Lu for sitting at the table!
5. PO Box. Nothing to report here.
6. Motion to endorse a permit request to protest RNC convention in 2008 on behalf of Students for a Democratic Society. Mike will place an online poll on the listserve to determine if we have an interest in supporting this movement. More info here: http://www.protestrnc2008.org/call
7. Actions around Aaron Jones' Scheduled Execution this Thurs., May 3. Update: He was executed on schedule despite the overwhelming majority of constituents who opposed rather than supported the execution. We thank everyone who made a call to Governor Riley on his behalf.
8. Future meeting:
a. FLOC organizer who was killed in Mexico (Judy)
b. APJ establishing a regular vigil in response to future executions. (Judy)
a. U.S. Social Forum happening in Atlanta June 27-30 (Judy)
b. Next meeting will be on Tuesday, June 5, 2007 at 7 PM. PLEASE NOTE THE TIME CHANGE.
More information can be found at www.peaceeagle.org.
Hope to see you there!